Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Day zero

On the 24th of August 2016, I was inside my apartment room in unit 36 of the hyde park court building, located on the corner of Vincent and William street in Perth, Western Australia. At around 6:25 AM I was already awake to finish off my uni assignment for remunerations and rewards, I had done the assignment a week earlier prior from day zero. needless to say that I had plenty of time to write up my thesis and conduct research to complete it and include all the relevant references. I spent my past few weeks carefully focusing mostly on completing my assignments as I am not the kind of person who likes to procrastinate as I have a busy life outside of the university, especially when I have to balance my Uni life and my work life at the mining Lab, where I was actually earning decent amount of income to sustain myself financially and to save up enough for a possible business investment.

Sadly by 2016, my workload at the lab was reduced due to the slowing down of the mining boom in Western Australia. As a result of my workload reduction, I wasn't earning enough to consistently pay my bills for my rent and to save for my business idea. Therefore I had to get additional jobs; being a welcoming attendant at the local park and a cashier at the food court. However, having been made redundant from my current job at the lab, I  had more free time to complete most of my uni assignments, which is why I was completing it around 6:25in the morning. After adding a couple of words to the content of my thesis for remunerations and rewards, I got myself ready to go for my routine run at Hyde Park, which is just next door to my apartment, all it takes is a minute walk and crossing the street. As usual, I have my phone in my pocket and headsets on my ear to listen to some music while I run around the park until I get myself exhausted to better release my endorphins, to help me concentrate on my writing later on when I continue it in uni.

As I entered the running track, I played the first song on my song list, Hellraiser by motley crue, I ran in accordance with the duration of the first track which was about 3 minutes and then played the next track, Poison by Alice Cooper, this song was roughly 5 minutes in duration. listening to the sound of Alice Cooper and his godlike rock melody, it gave me an energy boost that made me run faster than the usual pace, though my breathing was getting heavy and I was beginning to get exhausted myself, I pushed beyond my limits to get the runners high(a sense of euphoria that runners get when running). As I got the runners high, I felt extremely peaceful and lightheaded. however I also felt something else, I felt numb on the left half of my body, I thought I was just tired so I ran further but then my left arm felt funny, it felt like it was hitting something as i was running, it felt like it was hitting some rocks and pebbles. As i looked on my left arm, i was shocked to see that my entire left forearm was on the floor and elastic looking, like the arms of Mr. Fantastic from fantastic four. I remember looking at it with such amazement and picked it up to stretch it and I found it extremely funny, that my left arm was stretchy and started laughing. sadly I didn't know that I was actually having a stroke. I may have laughed for a couple of seconds, after that, I blacked out and completely lost consciousness.           


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meditative visualization for Strokes

Catastrophic events such as strokes or traumatic blows to the cranium, often result in neuronal loss, which can lead to a number of deficits...