Sunday, September 2, 2018

My background

In my last post, I explained my reason for writing this blog and to clarify the different types of endovascular disorders that are responsible for causing hemorrhagic strokes; Anyeursm and AVMs. I know, however, would like to tell you about my personal life leading up to the incident. As I've told you in my last entry,  my name is Samuel, I am originally from Bali, Indonesia. Having grown up on the archipelago, most would consider me to be Indonesian by nationality. Though I'm Indonesian, I've spent the majority of my childhood and teenage years at an international school, where I did most of my secondary education. needless to say, that going to an international school was considered a privilege since most of my school curriculum was done in English compared with the local schools, where its mostly done in Indonesian.

Going to school was somewhat of a mundane task for me as I have to wake up early every morning to be there to attend morning assembly, where we would recite the morning prayer and here announcements regarding important matters. Having said that the sense of lethargy after each assembly in the morning would continue to follow me throughout my day at school even after I go home. I remember being tired in one of the classes to the point that I would lose focus on the subject that was being discussed. needless to say, I was a tired kid throughout my school year and really didn't enjoy it. I remember being tired that I would often forget what I was supposed to do for my class assignments and the teacher would often yell at me or make me stay behind after class to finish it. After school assignments just completely degenerate my brain power and would often put me in bed earlier. By 2007 I was already in the seventh grade and the workload starts piling up every day and it was making me stressed out. by grade 8, 9 and 10, the depression got stronger and it would often interfere with my sleeping pattern. Because of this, I've consulted with doctors and psychologists to identify the cause of both my depression and insomnia. both of them, however, couldn't find any cause and so I was left to handle it alone until I graduated high school and left for Australia to further my studies.

While I was down under my depression got a bit better and was having a blast with my new environment in Perth, Western Australia. the moments of joy lasted for about 7 months and then the feeling of anxiety came back to haunt me again. This time it has made my insomnia worse and i couldn't sleep for a couple of days. This made me go to the local chemist every now and then to purchase melatonin tablets to help me fall asleep every night. This dependence on melatonin became a habit for a couple of months. If any of you out there have trouble falling asleep at night, I would recommend melatonin as a quick solution, however, it shouldn't be used in the long run as there may be some side effects. However, if you are looking for a natural solution to insomnia, then physical exercise would be the answer as it helps release more dopamine and endorphins to decrease stress and form a better circadian rhythm at night. I highly recommend long distance running or any other form of cardio as it is the quickest way to tired the body. 
Standard melatonin supplements
                             

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meditative visualization for Strokes

Catastrophic events such as strokes or traumatic blows to the cranium, often result in neuronal loss, which can lead to a number of deficits...