Saturday, March 2, 2019

Day four

The fourth day at the hospital follows the same routine schedule that was already designed by my group of therapists. The only difference with this particular day was that I woke up without my roommate on the other side of the room. Turns out, Roy had been transferred to a different section of the ward as he was making significant improvements and was already prepared to be discharged. Without a roommate to chat, my time inside my room would most definitely be mundane, thankfully my new roommate came in a few minutes later and took the place where Roy was sleeping. Reese was a typical Aussie millennial, still looking young in his early twenties. I assume he had been admitted to the hospital for some ridiculous cause as most Aussie blokes within their twenties are prone to doing dangerous acts of stupidity that ends up giving them self injury. My predictions were true, Reese had a brain injury from bashing his head against a rock after somersaulting drunk on a fence.

Though his case of being admitted to the hospice was undoubtfully stupid. Such cases don't surprise me as there are plenty of young millennials with substantially low grey matter in their brains to even think with common sense to decide on things which they should or should not be doing within the confines of reality. Reese wasn't that much of a talker as he would spend the majority of his time gazing the television. Because of this lack of a social presence, I diverted my attention into looking at educational youtube videos particularly TED videos concerning Neuroscience and Neuropsychology. I would open one of these videos and try to focus in to obtain the key points of all the presentations. Surprisingly they were all very informative regarding the brain and how an injury affects it both mentally and physically and metally. If any of you are stroke patients of a ruptured AVM that is still an inpatient in the hospital then I highly recommend looking at TED videos as a productive way of enjoying your free time when you're not doing therapies or engaging in a meaningful conversation with your roommate.

Another highly productive activity as an alternative to watching TED videos is reading books whether they are fiction or non-fiction. I will list some of my favorite TED videos and books to read in my next entry to make things easier for you to choose the book you would like to read or the videos on TED you would like to watch. If you do end up watching or reading some of the things that I will suggest in my next post, be sure to take down notes to make things easier for you to understand.

Now going back to the current situation in my room. Without a very social roommate to talk to, I rarely spend much time in my room. I spend most of it on my therapies. uring this day in my speech therapy, I asked my speech pathologist Alicia if there was some sort of social group Where I could talk with other patients and improve my speech at the same time. Turns out there was something called Dysarthria group every Wednesday. Patients who would like to join and chat with other stroke affected individuals are free to come and join them. n this group patients are able to talk just about anything as long as it's not controversial such as political or religious discussions.

After having registered for this group with Alicia, I went to the kitchen to get some alone time for myself. This room has the only large screen telivision, where visitors can relax while they are visiting their sick relatives. I turned on the Television and there it was a Promo for the new upcoming Marvel movie, Dr. Strange. I had to see this film as I am a devout Marvel fan and an admirer of Stan Lee, the creator of Marvel comics. After watching this trailer, I walked to the main reception of the nurse's station and asked if I could get a day leave from the hospital to watch the movie at the cinema. They gladly approve my request and gave me the time to leave the hospital the next day to watch it. however, I have to take my meds with me and I had to be accompanied by my mother while I'm outside as part of the conditions for da leave and I had to be back before six or the doors will close shut for me.                                                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meditative visualization for Strokes

Catastrophic events such as strokes or traumatic blows to the cranium, often result in neuronal loss, which can lead to a number of deficits...