Friday, December 28, 2018

Fiona Stanley

The next day at Charlie Gairdner starts off like any other day during my stay there. I would wake at exactly around 7.30am in bed eagerly waiting for my breakfast, the only thing that kept me excited every single day there was just the food that I was getting for every meal. At this stage the food that I was getting was still specialized for stroke patients, the contents of my meal would have to be thick and easy to be contracted by my esophagus as I swallow each and every one of them. The doctors and nurses called it thickened fluid and they would often joke around about it to me. One of the nurses named Paul has a habit of mocking me with the kind of that I get, he would say, " Sam, would you like some coffee?", I would definitely say," hell yeah, I would rather drink coffee than this junk", Paul would then reply by saying," but it's thickened coffee, hahaha" This sort of mocking happens almost every morning but it didn't seem to bother me as I've gotten used to it. I would always reply to the sarcastic paul by saying, "Ha ha very funny Paul, that's bad karma for you, insulting a patient with a brain injury"

As my breakfast arrived at my front door Roger, the nurse who was stationed at the front of my room came in to conduct an observation of my blood pressure, temperature and oxygen saturation. As usual, all the readings came out normal and Roer would write down the result on the patient chart that was placed at the end of my bed. After he finished writing them down, I could finally proceed with eating breakfast. The menu hasn't changed much, however, this time I got an extra sausage, which was new and unexpected since they could only give me some scrambled eggs, a packet of salt and chocolate yogurt. All of which are unsatisfying options for breakfast. To receive a couple of sausages was a blessing and it lightens up my mood. Roger who was still in my room asked me if I was enjoying my sausages, I replied by telling him tt it was exquisite to be able to eat them. As I gobbled down on the last pieces of eggs and sausages, Larisa, my nurse came in and told me that that day was my lucky day. I asked her, "what's so lucky about today?" She replied, "you're going to be transferred to Fiona Stanley for rehab and our insurance for the next treatment at the hospital is already covered by the Allianz health insurance, that also includes your stay At Fiona Stanley". Hearing this news, I was delighted to know that I'm making progress and will be moving on to further recovery, though I have no idea what the next hospital will be like.

Larisa then took out her phone and called my mom to come back to the hospital to accompany me on my transfer and to sign some paperwork to be given to the staff at Fiona Stanley. A few minutes Later, my mum arrived and read through the documents before signing them. With the paperwork all signed by my mum, Larisa, and Christopher Lind. I was ready for transfer. Two men from the Patient Transport came inside my room with a mobile stretcher and lifted me on to it, strapping me tightly on the bed with a seatbelt to prevent me from falling overboard when I'm moved. They then rolled me out of my room and through the hallway to the elevators. As I passed through the hallway all the nurses and therapists said goodbye to me especially my favorite nurses, Andrea and Lindsey.you could say I've grown attached to them, mostly because I've ever had an intimate relationship with a woman. it was sad to leave them behind but I promise myself that I'll visit them when my mobility gets better.

I was rolled into the elevator, the guys from patient transport pressed the lobby button and I felt the elevator going downwards. The journey downwards was accompanied by a serious of questions by the two men, they asked me why I was in the hospital, to which I replied, "AVM" the two men responded by saying, "ooh that's pretty rare, not a lot of people get AVM's tough luck buddy". Seconds later, the elevator reached the lobby and the doors opened. The two men pushed my stretcher outwards and I was moved into the docking zone just outside of the main entrance, there a transport ambulance had been prepared with its doors opened and the lifting crane ready. The men rolled me on the crane and pressed the button on the side. I was then automatically lifted and pushed inwards into the ambulance. Before departing, a couple of seatbelts were fastened on the bottom and top of my stretcher to keep me still when the vehicle moves. Soon e were ready and we departed on schedule.

While I was on the road, I looked out the window to see the view. I could see that we were going southwards of the swan river and passing Bentley where my University was at. We head further south until the next suburb, the city of Murdoch where my second hospital was located. surprisingly it's near Murdoch University, which is famous for animal science and there are lots of stables in the area to house farm animals. As I looked out the window I could see horses running around the courtyard and a couple of cows grazing on the green grass in the area and then see the biggest building I've ever seen and at the front, it says, "Fiona Stanley Hospital" I knew by that sigh that I had arrived at my destination. The car then entered the hospital entrance into the docking area where I was later unloaded and received by the nurse on duty, Ellie. She introduced herself to my mother and me. the guys room the ambulance hande over all my documents to her and I was ready to go to my room.

Ellie pushed me through the hallways into ward B of the rehab section for acute brain injury. My room number was 49. Inside this room, I was greeted by my roommate, Roy Hudson who was an old bloke recovering in the hospital after a stroke that he had at home. from his appearance, I could tell that his recovery was going well despite him not being able to move very well. My bed was located near the window close to the bathroom, while Roy was situated near the front door. Both of our beds were also equipped with hanging computer screens that give us 24-hour access to the internet, therefore I have the privilege of reading online news and watching videos on youtube. This was something that I didn't have back at the first hospital since the wi-fi connection didn't reach into m room very well and had to rely on my phone fo surfing the web. The moment I jumped into my new bed, I dragged the hanging computer screen closer towards me and opened Google to begin watching videos on youtube. They are mostly music videos of bands from the 80's such as the rolling stones, the who, cheap trick, and dire straits. I watched all of their musical acts online until bedtime where I was completely exhausted and fell asleep afterward.                                             


     

               

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meditative visualization for Strokes

Catastrophic events such as strokes or traumatic blows to the cranium, often result in neuronal loss, which can lead to a number of deficits...