Monday, December 3, 2018

AWOL

While I strolled around the gardens of the hospital, I acquainted myself with the other buildings near my ward particularly the DD block cancer center where most of the cancer patients are placed for both their treatment and recovery. Going through to this section of the hospital, I'm reminded of how thankful I should be for not having cancer, as it is worse and could virtually spread to other parts of the body. During my stroll in this section of the hospital, I was suddenly interrupted by a phone call, I picked up the phone and realized t was one of the nurses back at the neuro ward, they had asked me to return back into my room so they can discuss with me about other matters, especially my ongoing studies at Curtin University. needless to say that my AVM stroke has abruptly put my studies to a halt and I haven't reported them directly of the reason for my ongoing absent. My parents may have had reported the Uni officials however I wasn't aware if they had responded to it. therefore I assumed that the reason I was told to return to my ward was to discuss this matter.

As I entered my room, there was a woman standing near my bed. I could definitely tell that she was a social worker from the hospital who had arrived to help me and my parents settle some unfinished business outside of the hospital. The first thing asked her was filing for AWOL( absent without leave) with the student's services to clarify on the reason I was absent. She replied that she had already forwarded a statement letter detailing that I was in the hospital as a result of a brain injury. Shortly after my father received a phone call from one of the representatives of student services asking me on my current condition and the status of my studies. I decided it was best to postpone my studies until I can make a full recovery. To my surprise, the morons at the student support asked me if I could come to Uni to fill up the form for absent without leave. I told them specifically that I was immobile from my paralysis and wasn't able to be physically present. Yet they insisted that I should come so they can asses my claims. They stated this many times as if they don't believe that I have a brain injury.

I can definitely tell from the way they talked to me on the phone that most of the people at student services or at my Uni for that matter don't really care for the wellbeing of their students. they only care about how long they can keep students under their grasp so they can suck their wallet dry of cash. I find the majority of the people working at my Uni to be inconsiderate self-centered, obnoxious capitalist swine who take pleasure in making the lives of students with disabilities to become harder and unbearable. I could compare them to prison guards that are stationed in concentration camps to systematically abuse prisoners during their captivity and that each and every member of the  educational institution should be regarded as a war criminal, not for committing genocide but for making the lives of certain individuals harder despite having knowledge that it's the wrong thing to do. However, despite my over exaggerated and most likely inappropriate analogy of the education system at University, I am not saying that everyone in Uni is a criminal or that all students going there are prisoners awaiting execution or forced labor. Though at times it may feel like it. So to all my readers who are reading this, don't take my description personally or get offended y it. I'm sure there are some nice Uni people out there but the majority of them are absolute snobs.

After having negotiated with the woman on the other side of the phone, we finally came to a compromise that it would be best to send the form through the email of the hospital administration so they can print it for me to fill out before being scanned and sent back to them after completion. after our agreement, we stopped our discussions and hung up the phone. I proceeded to go up back into my bed and waited for a late lunch. Minutes later the hospital catering arrived inside my room and handed me my lunch, it was chicken masala with rice and steamed vegetables. I immediately ate my lunch and tried to eat as much as I possibly can so I don't have to take additional supplements through my feeding tube. Once I have eaten all of my food,  I fell asleep and dozed off into my nap.

I didn't remember how long I was asleep during my nap but I did remember waking up at around 5 for early dinner. As I opened my eyes, the catering lady was already inside my room with her cart containing my dinner. She opened up the lid and took out a tray, she placed it on the table next to me and asked " are you, Samuel? " I replied, "yep", "here's your dinner", said the lady. I brought the table closer to me and lifted up the lid, it was mushroom soup and some chocolate yogurt for dinner, not the most appetizing of all dinners but it's a tart and better than eating probiotics. I tried eating the soup even though the taste was bland and it had a funny texture. Eventually, I finished most of it including the chocolate yogurt and I was stuffed. Having stuffed myself, I felt pretty full and tired, I could probably doze off into another sleep.

But before I could get some shut eye, Lindsey, my Scottish night nurse came in and bought me a pair of pressure stockings to wear for the night to keep my blood circulation in my legs flowing since I don't have much movements with them. she placed them in my right hand asked me to put them on, so I did. Afterwars I chatted with her and asked her about her personal life. If I had the courage, I would have asked her out on a date but I don't think it's allowed that nurses could go out with their patients. The chatting went o or about an hour after that she left my room and I was alone yet again.             
                                                                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meditative visualization for Strokes

Catastrophic events such as strokes or traumatic blows to the cranium, often result in neuronal loss, which can lead to a number of deficits...